In November of 2013, Jamie Utt wrote an article for Everyday Feminism called “So You Call Yourself an Ally: 10 Things All ‘Allies’ Need to Know” as an affirmative response to Mia Mckenzie’s September 2013 article on BGD called “No More ‘Allies'”. Both articles are reviews of the word ally and what it means in out culture today.
Here is the definition according to dictionary.com:
1. to unite formally, as by treaty, league, marriage, or the like (usuallyfollowed by with or to
2. to associate or connect by some mutual relationship, as resemblanceor friendship.
3. to enter into an alliance
; join; unite.
4. a person, group, or nation that is associated with another or others forsome common cause or purpose:
5. Biology. a plant, animal, or other organism bearing an evolutionaryrelationship to another, often as a member of the same family:
6. a person who associates or cooperates with another; supporter.
I hope that these will help us all work out what it means to be an ally.
PS: I really like this song by Rev. Meg Barnhouse and I think it speaks to this as well.